Orthodontic Techniques for Cosmetic Dentistry in Cambridge, MA
Posted on: Monday, October 8th, 2012
Years ago the only real option for straightening teeth was full metal braces. Today there are several other cosmetic dentistry alternatives that can straighten crooked teeth quickly and conveniently.
Six Month Smiles®
Patients often put off straightening their teeth because they are afraid it will take years of treatment. However, thanks to recent advancements, Six Month Smiles® can straighten teeth for a beautiful smile in six short months. This method implements clear or tooth-colored titanium wires that emit just enough force to move teeth into place quickly, yet painlessly. A few advantages of this system include:
- The thin titanium wires are easier to clean and more comfortable than traditional metal braces.
- Wires are clear or tooth-colored for a less-noticeable appearance.
- Treatment usually only lasts six months.
- The Six Month Smiles® method is often much less expensive than other orthodontic options.
Six Month Smiles® focuses only on those teeth that are visible when you smile, which is why treatment goes by much faster. Since this is a cosmetic option, it might not be suited to patients with extremely crooked teeth or with occlusion problems.
Invisalign® Clear Braces
Invisalign® is unique in that the orthodontic appliance used is virtually invisible. The custom-fabricated clear plastic aligners move teeth over time. In order to keep treatment moving along quickly, a new aligner is mailed to the patient every two weeks. A few reasons that patients love Invisalign’s straightening system are:
- The clear plastic aligners are worn all day, but are hardly noticeable.
- Aligners can be removed for eating and drinking.
- Aligners can also be removed for cleaning purposes, such as brushing and flossing.
- The soft plastic doesn’t cause irritation to the soft tissues of the mouth as some metal braces can do.
The standard Invisalign® treatment plan lasts twelve to eighteen months, but it can fix any number of dental problems. A shorter plan, Invisalign® Express, is also available to some patients for complete teeth straightening in only six months.
Alternative Cosmetic Solutions for Crooked Teeth
If teeth are only slightly crooked, gapped, or uneven, you might not need braces at all! Today cosmetic dentists are using porcelain veneers to mend many minor cosmetic problems, including crooked teeth.
Dental veneers are thin porcelain shells that are custom-made and placed over imperfections in the front of your smile. With this option, you can have straighter, whiter, more beautiful teeth almost instantly.
- Cosmetic Dentistry at Avalon Dental Center
- Invisalign® Clear Braces
- Six Month Smiles® Rapid Orthodontics
- Porcelain Veneers in Cambridge, MA
You can expect full dental services – general and cosmetic – for your family at Avalon Dental Center. Call your dentist in Cambridge: (617) 374-9500.